Call now on 01793 751866 | Chelworth Manor, Chelworth Park, Cricklade, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN6 6HE

We’re open today between 8:00am and 8:00pm

February 13, 2017 at 11:51 AM

If you want to take that fun road trip abroad with the family this summer then you need to start planning now.

Below we offer a few hints and tips on current driving regulations and specifics for those who wish to travel in their luxury van! 

Before you travel

It's a good idea to get your van or van checked over before you travel and have a full service carried out. That way you will have full peace of mind while enjoying your road trip and holiday with friends and family. 

Driving licence

When you drive your van within the European Union or EEA, then you can use your UK driving license. However, if you plan to drive elsewhere, then you will need to have an IDP (International Driving Permit). This is available from the RAC, AA and the Post Office. It will cost you £5.50. The only requirements are that you need to be aged 18 or over and hold a current driving license.


Driving on the right

The idea of driving on the right side of the road can put a lot of people off from driving abroad, but you soon get used to it! When you first arrive, it is best to drive on smaller and less frequented roads while you get used to navigating your way around. If you are used to driving your van around the UK, then you will be fine. You can also get one of these stickers to put on your dashboard.


Make sure you have breakdown cover

When you drive in the UK, you need breakdown cover and the same is true when you travel abroad. You don't want your vehicle to suddenly break down in a foreign country, and to then be stranded and saddled with a huge bill. The cost of towing a large van or van is also very expensive. Be sure to get breakdown cover before you travel. 

Correct documentation

As well as having van insurance and breakdown cover, you will also need other specific documentation in your possession while you travel. You will need a sticker displaying the letters, GB while you travel if you are not in possession of a GB logo license plate. If you are travelling to Turkey or Croatia, then you will need an IDP that we mentioned earlier on.


Please note that when your registration specifies the GB with the European Stars it's enough however in the case of the following registration if you get caught without the white sticker you may get a fine at least until the UK is still part of the EU.


What to keep in your van

When you drive your van or van in a foreign country, then it is important that you keep certain items with you for added safety. A basic emergency kit is a must have, especially when driving across open terrain with very little chance of stopping for rest breaks. Items that you should keep onboard include the following; 

  • Roadside flares 
  • Warning triangle
  • Reflective vest
  • Basic first aid kit
  • Easy to use phrase book
  • Blankets
  • Bottles water
  • Dried food to use as snacks
  • In certain countries it is the law to carry a portable fire extinguisher, so check before you travel! 


Tags: Driving Tips Abroad Checklist Must-have Blog
Category: The "Expert Advice"